The pioneer of Microsoft and the second richest man in the world, Bill Gates is certainly a name we all grew up hearing. This man needs no introduction, but did you know these things about him? Keep reading to find out some unknown facts about Bill Gates.
Unknown facts about Bill Gates
2) Though Gates dropped out of Harvard University in 1975, he still managed to get a degree. The University gave him an honorary degree in 2007. Bill Gates also received honorary degrees from Cambridge University, Tsinghua University in China and Waseda University in Japan.
3) It may come as a shock, the man who mastered almost every programming language in the world, can speak only one human language—English. He often says not learning another language is his biggest regret.
4) Just like Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates is also colour blind. In an interview in 2006, Gates revealed about his colour blindness to the world.
5) Despite his busy schedule, Bill Gates is an avid reader and is known to read around 50 books a year, that is, at least 1 book per week.
6) Bill Gates used to fly coach until he bought his own plane in 1997. He often refers to his plane as the ‘big splurge.’
7) In 1994, Gates acquired the Codex Leicester, a collection of writings by Leonardo da Vinci, in an auction for $ 30 million. This was one of his biggest splurges, before he bought the plane.
8) Gates is a sports enthusiast and is often seen playing bridge, golf and tennis in the very little free time he gets.
9) Bill Gates has three children and though his net worth is more than $ 100 billion, his children will inherit only $ 10 million each. Gates often says, “Leaving kids massive amounts of money is not a favor to them.”
10) Bill Gates shared a love-hate relationship with fellow tech genius Steve Jobs. The duo shared a friendly relationship initially, when Microsoft wrote software for the Apple II computer. However, graphical user interface (GUI) conflicts fractured their relationship. Steve Jobs was often seen taking digs at Gates publicly.
Which of these facts about Bill Gates surprised you the most? Comment below and let us know.
Warren Buffett Most Inspiring Quotes
The fourth richest man in the world, Warren Buffett is one of the greatest businessmen and investors of all time. Known for succeeding in everything at which he tried his hands, Warren Buffett is an inspiration to many. Here are the 10 most inspiring quotes by the “Oracle of Omaha.”
Most inspiring quotes by Warren Buffett
1) About passion
2) About happiness
3) About expectations
4) About success
5) About spending
6) About the important rules of life
7) About reputation
View this post on Instagram
Know the risks for it will keep you cautious. . . #StartupStories #StartupLife #GrowthTips #FridayThoughts #WarrenBuffett #USA #motivationalspeakers #motivationalquotes #inspirationalquotes #inspiration #success #successmindset #sundaythoughts #sundaymotivation #believeinyourself #believe #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurgoals#instadaily #instainspire
8) About doing good
View this post on Instagram
Work in such a manner that you leave behind something useful for later generations. . . #StartupStories #StartupLife #GrowthTips #LifeHacks #WarrenBuffett #ThursdayThoughts #motivationalspeakers #motivationalquotes #inspirationalquotes #inspiration #success #successmindset #believeinyourself #believe #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurgoals#instadaily
9) About investment
View this post on Instagram
Invest in yourself before investing in anything else. . . #StartupStories #StartupLife #FactOfTheDay #MondayMotivation #GrowthTips #LifeHack #warrenbuffet #warrenbuffettquotes #motivationalspeakers #motivationalquotes #inspirationalquotes #inspiration #success #successmindset #believeinyourself #believe #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurgoals#instadaily #instainspire
10) About greed and fear
From being a paper delivery boy, to becoming one of the richest men in the world, Warren Buffett is an absolutely inspirational figure.
Comment below and let us know which of these quotes by Warren Buffett inspired you the most.
First Jobs Of Famous Billionaires
The success stories of many billionaires around the world inspire many people of our generation and have, on several occasions, ignited a desire in many to start their own business. However, many of these successful people began their career by working ordinary jobs. Let’s look at 5 such successful people, who started their career by working some very ordinary jobs.
First jobs of famous billionaires
1) Warren Buffett
Warren Buffett is the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway and is often referred to as the “Oracle of Omaha.” However, this American business magnate started his career by selling Coca-Cola bottles, chewing gum and magazines door-to-door. At the age of 13, he became a newspaper delivery boy and made $ 175 a month, delivering The Washington Post. He continued to look for other business ventures and accumulated savings of $ 9,800 by the time he finished college. Now, with a net worth of $ 82 billion, he is the fourth richest person in the world.
2) Michael Bloomberg
Michael Bloomberg, who founded the financial, software, data and media company Bloomberg L.P., worked as a parking lot attendant when he was young. Born to middle class parents, Bloomberg worked in a parking lot to pay his tuition fees in college and went on to graduate from Harvard Business School. Now a well known philanthropist, Michael Bloomberg is one of the richest people in America, with a net worth of $ 53.5 billion.
3) Oprah Winfrey
Oprah Winfrey is a well known media mogul and entrepreneur, who worked as a grocery store clerk in Nashville to support herself. She then landed a job in radio at the age of 16 and worked her way to the top, eventually owning her own production company. Now, with a net worth of $ 2.6 billion, she is considered one of the most influential women in the world and is a source of inspiration to many.
4) Li Ka Shing
Li Ka Shing was the former chairperson of CK Hutchison Holdings and CK Asset Holdings and is one of the most influential entrepreneurs in Asia. Coming from a poor family, he started his career as an apprentice at a watch strap factory when he was 13 years old and at the age of 19, became the general manager of the factory. He later started his own plastic manufacturing company and used the profits from the company to invest in real estate. Li slowly worked his way up the ladder of success and is now one of the richest people in Hong Kong, with a net worth of $ 27.1 billion.
5) Mark Cuban
Mark Cuban is an American Shark Tank investor, co founder of Broadcast.com and owner of the American basketball team Dallas Mavericks. Cuban began working at the age of 12 as a door to door garbage bag salesman. After graduating college, he worked as a bartender and then as a salesman for a software company. He started his own company, Broadcast.com, after getting fired from his job and now has a net worth of $ 4.1 billion.
It is true, starting at the bottom does not guarantee success. However, if you find your passion and work hard towards it, nothing is impossible, as the aforementioned individuals proved.
JRD Tata Unknown Facts
Tata Group, which began in 1868, has had six chairmen until now. Among the six men who served this renowned business group, there was one exceptional man who served as its chairman for 50 whole years and took the Company to great heights. Yes, the man we are talking about is none other than Jehangir Ratanji Dadabhoy Tata, or JRD Tata.
From starting India’s first ever international airline, to giving the Country one of its largest cosmetic brands (Lakmé,) this gentleman has done it all. JRD Tata also strived his best to improve India’s economy on the whole. Here are some unknown facts about this exemplary industrialist.
Unknown facts about JRD Tata
1) JRD Tata was born on 29th July, 1904 in Paris and had a French citizenship for a long time. He even served as a part of the French Army for one year.
2) In 1925, he entered the Tata Group as an unpaid apprentice.
3) JRD Tata was always keen on flying and became India’s first licensed pilot in 1929.
4) In 1929, JRD Tata also renounced his French citizenship and took up Indian citizenship.
5) In 1934, JRD Tata was elected as the Chairman of the Tata Group. He was only 30 years when he was elected for this position, making him the youngest person to head the Group.
6) When he was appointed as the Chairman, the Tata Group had 14 companies under it. JRD Tata expanded it to an empire of 95 companies in a span of 50 years. Some of the most renowned companies established by JRD Tata during his tenure as the Chairman include Tata Motors (1945,) Lakmé (1952,) Tata Tea Limited (1964,) Tata Consultancy Services (1968) and Titan Industries Limited (1987.)
7) JRD Tata was the person who launched Air India International, India’s first ever international airline. For this reason, he is also known as the ‘father of Indian aviation.’
8) JRD Tata was the man who initiated the ‘employee welfare schemes’ in India. He is responsible for the 8 hour work day, free medical aid and the employee provident fund. These principles were later adopted by the Indian Government.
9) It is no surprise this man received several awards during his lifetime. His awards include the Padma Vibhushan (1957) and the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award (1992.)
10) When JRD Tata died in November 1993, the Indian Parliament was adjourned in his honour.
Which of these facts about JRD Tata surprised you the most? Comment below and let us know.
- Harley-Davidson Success Story
- Traits To Look For In A Co Founder
- Adidas Unknown Facts
- 5 Companies Founded By Elon Musk That Are Not Tesla
- Starbucks Unknown Facts
- Walmart Family Makes $ 4 Million Every Hour And $ 100 Million Every Day
- Friends Who Founded Companies Together
- Warren Buffett Most Inspiring Quotes
- Reid Hoffman Unknown Facts
- Best Coca-Cola Marketing Campaigns
- First Jobs Of Famous Billionaires
- JRD Tata Unknown Facts
- Jack Ma Most Inspiring Quotes
- Modern Technological Innovations To Combat Increasing Food Demands And Climate Change
- Incredible Friendship Of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett
- Henry Ford Unknown Facts
- Women Startup Summit – Ecosystem For Women Entrepreneurs In India To Be Promoted
- Richest Self Made Women Entrepreneurs
- #BoycottZomato and #BoycottUberEats Trend On Twitter
- Henry Ford Most Inspiring Quotes