Travis Kalanick, the co founder of Uber, is famous for turning the startup into a billion dollar company. Let us take a look at some unknown facts about Travis Kalanick.
Unknown facts about Travis Kalanick
1) Travis Kalanick was introduced to the entrepreneurial world from an early age, when he started selling knives door-to-door for a cutlery company called Cutco during his childhood.
2) Although he is widely known for starting companies like Uber, Scour and Red Swoosh, Kalanick started his first business at the age of 18. Along with a friend, Kalanick started a SAT prep business called New Way Academy.
3) Travis Kalanick was a very smart child. He became interested in computers at an early age and learned how to code by the time he was in middle school. Moreover, Kalanick scored 1580 out of 1600 in his SAT.
4) In 2001, Kalanick started a company called Red Swoosh. In order to save money, Kalanick started living with his parents and eventually moved to Trivandrum, India and then to Thailand.
5) Travis Kalanick is a passionate Wii Sports Tennis player and plays the video game during his spare time. According to investor Chris Sacca, Kalanick was ranked the second best player in Wii Sports Tennis in the world.
6) Travis Kalanick is known for his aggressive behaviour and once sent Instagram a cease and desist letter by posting it on the photo sharing social media platform, along with the caption, “Charming greeting card from a taxi cartel representative.”
7) Despite his billionaire status, Travis Kalanick is famous for being a frugal person. He is known to intentionally forget his wallet during team lunch and staying in cheap hotels while on vacation.
8) Travis Kalanick’s house, which he purchased after selling Red Swoosh, is famously known as the Jam Pad. This is because Kalanick’s house became the go to place for young entrepreneurs to hang out and discuss ideas. Kalanick’s house also has its own Twitter account.
With a net worth of $ 5.28 billion, Travis Kalanick is one of the richest entrepreneurs in America. Which of these unknown facts about Travis Kalanick surprised you the most? Comment below and let us know.
Wharton Graduate Eric Tse Becomes Billionaire At 24
Eric Tse, a Wharton graduate, was gifted $ 3.8 billion by his parents in the form of 2.7 billion shares of his parents’ company, Sino Biopharmaceutical Limited.
It was also reported along with the gift, Eric Tse was also promoted to the position of executive director at Sino Biopharmaceutical, after working at the Company for 1 year. As the executive director, Eric Tse will have a salary of $ 498,000 annually plus bonuses.
Now, Forbes lists Eric Tse as the 546th richest person in the world. Moreover, Bloomberg also reported the shares transferred to Eric Tse are equivalent to 21.45 % of the Company’s share capital.
Tse Ping, Eric’s father, founded the billion dollar company Sino Biopharmaceutical in 2000 and serves as the CEO of the Company. Cheung Ling Cheng, Eric Tse’s mother, also serves as the Vice Chairperson of Sino Biopharmaceutical. Theresa, Eric’s older sister, who is currently the Company’s Chairperson, owns 11 % of the Company.
According to a statement released by Sino Biopharmaceutical, the shares were transferred to Eric Tse in an effort to refine the management of the Company and the inheritance of the family wealth. The statement also added the board of directors believe the transfer of shares will not have any material impact on the business operations of the Company.
Eric Tse, who majored in Finance at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, was also the co founder of the Penn Wharton China Summit. The non profit organisation grew to become America’s largest student organized summit in China.
Despite the sudden increase in wealth, Tse expressed his wish of not wanting to participate in wealth ranking.
Huawei Unknown Facts
Huawei is the world’s largest manufacturer of telecommunication equipment. The Company was founded in 1987 by the 42 year old Ren Zhengfei. Considered one of the world’s largest technology brands, Huawei was valued at $ 105.1 billion in 2018. Here are a few unknown facts about this tech company.
Unknown facts about Huawei
1) Founder Ren Zhengfei came up with the name Huawei after coming across the phrase ‘Zhonghua youwei,’ which meant ‘China has promise.’
2) The name Huawei can be quite difficult for non Chinese people to pronounce. Huawei is pronounced as ‘Waa wai,’ but Huawei’s pronunciation varies by countries. This led the Company to launch a name recognition campaign, where they used “Wow way” to encourage a pronunciation closer to the actual one.
3) Huawei puts more focus on Research and Development (R and D,) with more than 40 % of the Company’s employees working in the R and D department.
4) Huawei’s Ox Horn Campus is famous for its European style architecture. Based in Guangdong, the R and D campus consists of 12 small ‘towns,’ modeled after famous European cities like Paris, Granada and Bruges. The research buildings of every ‘town’ are a replica of popular castles, palaces and many more.
5) Huawei’s 5G tech played a big part in the world’s first remote brain surgery. Dr. Ling Zhipei performed the brain surgery on a patient suffering from Parkinson’s disease. The surgeon operated on the patient, who was 3,000 km away from him, by manipulating surgical instruments with the help of a computer and 5G network. After the success, Dr. Zhipei credited Huawei’s 5G technology for ensuring a nearly real time operation.
6) In the tech industry, Apple is considered a direct rival of Huawei. However, this rivalry did not stop Huawei founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei from using Apple products. Zhengfei considers Apple’s iPhone the best phone in the world and revealed his family prefers Apple’s products over Huawei’s.
Did you find any of these unknown facts interesting? Comment below and let us know.
Peter Thiel Unknown Facts
Peter Thiel is the co founder of PayPal and a well known venture capitalist. Thiel is considered an independent thinker and one of the smartest entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley by many. From investing in Facebook during its early days, to co founding a CIA backed project named Palantir Technologies, Thiel has done a lot of work which may surprise the world. Here are some unknown facts about Peter Thiel.
Unknown facts about Peter Thiel
1) Despite having a Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy and a law degree from Stanford University, Peter Thiel doesn’t believe in a university education and often encourages youngsters to drop out of college. His foundation often gives funds of $ 100,000 to young entrepreneurs who are willing to drop out of school and work on their business ideas.
2) As an investor, Thiel likes to invest in eccentric projects and once invested a considerable amount in a project which worked on 3D printed meat.
3) Peter Thiel is the only entrepreneur in Silicon Valley who supported Donald Trump in the 2016 Presidential Elections.
4) Peter Thiel was also an avid chess player and was given the designation of a master chess player by the United States Chess Federation.
5) Apart from various eccentric projects, Thiel also supports and invested in anti aging research. Thiel is funding various research projects which work toward increasing human healthspan, reversing age related decline and tackling neurodegenerative diseases through his non profit, Breakout Labs.
6) Peter Thiel, along with Elon Musk and Max Levchin, was the executive producer of a satirical black comedy film, Thank You For Smoking (2005.)
7) Peter Thiel believes human activities do not affect the climate. Thiel calls himself a climate skeptic and considers the idea of human activity altering climate to be pseudoscience than actual science.
Which of these facts about Peter Thiel did you find interesting? Comment below and let us know.
- Wharton Graduate Eric Tse Becomes Billionaire At 24
- Huawei Unknown Facts
- Netflix To Face Stiff Competition Soon
- Jeff Bezos Loses World’s Richest Man Title And Gains It Back
- Chinese Millionaires Outnumber Wealthy Americans
- Companies Founded By Teenagers
- 20 Inspiring Quotes By Women Business Leaders Of The World
- Peter Thiel Unknown Facts
- Why Google Will Not Launch Pixel 4 In India
- Luxury Leader Bernard Arnault Grows Richer
- Starbucks In Japan Introduces Pen To Pay For Coffee
- Gucci Unknown Facts
- Ex Facebook Employee Reveals How He Made $ 1 Million In A Year
- The Rapid Growth Of OYO Into India’s Biggest Hospitality Chain
- Celebrities Who Invested In Startups
- 20 Inspiring Quotes By Young Entrepreneurs
- Sony Unknown Facts
- TikTok Owner Makes 7 Million In Revenue In The First Half Of 2019
- Lessons To Learn From Joanne Malone
- From Popularizing Fast Fashion To Filing For Bankruptcy – The Journey Of Forever 21