The healthcare industry is one of the most innovative fields in the world right now. From the kind of products to the kind of technology available, everything about the medtech startup world is changing for the better. Here are some of the most creative startups doing good in the world currently.
1. Clover Health
One of the most ground breaking unicorn startups in the world, Clover Health is an insurance startup which works to use data science and improve the conditions of preventive medicine. With over 25,000 benefiting from its services, Clover Health hit the headlines when it recently secured an investment of $ 130 million from Google! The startup aims at improving the lives of people not only in the United States, but all over the world as well.
2. Sensible Baby
Touted to be one of the major game changers of the baby monitoring industry, Sensible Baby was created with the aim of helping new parents breathe easy. While essentially similar to the functionalities of a standard baby monitor, the SmartOne device by Sensible Baby was launched so parents would not have to constantly worry about their child, especially due to the rising infant deaths through Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (a disease which still has no cure.) Furthermore, the device sends constant feedback to the parents’ smartphones, thereby ensuring constant contact!
Perhaps one of the most successful healthcare startups in India, Practo is a tool that helps schedule appointments with your doctors. Giving users a wide data pool of doctors specializing in various fields, Practo lets users look for specific departments and get treatment from the doctor of their choice. The tool also gives you a complete picture of how much the consultation is going to come up to and whether the city you live in has the doctor you need or not. A handy tool for people who do not have a direct access to doctors, Practo simplifies the lengthy process of finding and booking appointments.
4. Grow Fit
According to several surveys, a large number of lives were lost in India in the year 2016, primarily due to lifestyle diseases. While the number in itself is a staggering one, what makes this issue slightly more serious is that the expenses incurred because of these deaths is estimated to be almost $ 4.58 billion. Looking at this huge gap between the lives lost and the treatment available, Grow Fit was created. By working with an expert team of nutritionists, doctors and health analysts, Grow Fit looks at helping those who are susceptible to contracting these diseases and also works with solving issues through diet tips, health tips and behavioural insights.
Looking at the lack of proper healthcare facilities for the elderly and the people living in areas which are not accessible through technology, PORTEA was created to make access to medical facilities easy. Through remote diagnostics, point of care devices, monitoring equipment, doctors and medical professionals, PORTEA helps monitor and take care of patients who are in no position to travel to hospitals.
Through startups like these working on improving the lives of patients everywhere, innovators work every day to make treatment an easy process. If you think we missed out on any startups that have to be mentioned, comment and let us know!
Modern Technological Innovations To Combat Increasing Food Demands And Climate Change
Climate change has become a serious concern for the world in recent times. With various human activities worsening the world’s climate even more, scientists are working hard to find different solutions to combat the situation.
At the 2016 Paris Climate Change conference, where various political parties and activists gathered to discuss climate change, an agreement was passed with an aim to prevent global temperatures from rising. However, Microsoft founder and philanthropist Bill Gates argued there should be more effort put in than just a cut in global emissions to combat climate change. As a solution, Bill Gates, along with many other billionaires, launched a fund to invest in innovative technologies which will help combat this issue.
Global warming due to food and agricultural practices is a major concern for researchers and activists right now as it is estimated the global population will increase by 3 million people by 2050. This increase in population will require us to convert more forests and other ecosystems into agricultural fields to accommodate the need of the world population, resulting in the emission of 15 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide.
According to a report issued by the World Bank and the United Nations, there will be 50 % expansion of global food needs by 2050, with an increased need for meat based food products. It will require the conversion of nearly 600 million hectares of land for agricultural use and to meet the food requirements of the global population.
With a focus on finding solutions to the food related climate change issues, scientists are working on innovations for the reduction of food loss and waste and for the conservation of peatlands which release huge amounts of carbon dioxide after being converted to farmlands. They are also working on projects to help in decreasing the use of fertilizers in the agricultural field, which causes 20 % of the agricultural emissions in the environment.
Scientists are working on modern technologies like CRISPR Cas9, plant based meat replacements and compounds which stop fertilizers from being converted to nitrous oxide by soil microbes.
CRISPR Cas9 is a modern genome editing tool used in the manipulation of DNA and can be used to create or delete an entire genetic trait in a species. Scientists are working on using the technology to improve plant breeding by altering the genetic traits of various crop plants to improve their quality and increase their resistance from biotic and abiotic stresses.
World’s dependance on meat based food products is also a major concern in terms of climate change as there is no way to meet the meat requirements of 9 billion people worldwide. The solution to this problem is to develop lab grown meat and meat alternatives, undertaken by companies like Beyond Meat. Beyond Meat, which acquired an investment from Bill Gates, produces plant based meat burgers. These meat burgers are made entirely from vegetable protein obtained from peas and can be used as a replacement to meat.
Methane is a potent greenhouse gas which plays a major role in global warming. Majority of the methane in our ecosystem comes from our livestock, with a single cow releasing 3 tonnes of methane into the atmosphere every year by burping. Scientists at DSM Company developed a methane reducing feed additive which can make cows give out less methane.
There are other innovations done by researchers such as the use of solar power to produce hydrogen in nitrogen based fertilizers, using nontoxic spray on films to increase the shelf life of food items and developing crops which can absorb nitrogen, a major contributor to global warming.
It is a major challenge to feed an increasing world population without increasing the global temperatures, but with scientists working on technologies like CRISPR Cas9 and plant based meat food, there is still hope to achieve the impossible goal of combating climate change.
iPhone Unknown Facts
Introduced by Steve Jobs in the year 2007, the iPhone is a technological revolution which changed the fate of smartphones forever. It is also safe to say, the iPhone is one of the most coveted smartphones in the world.
Here is a list of few things you may not know about this amazing piece of technology.
Unknown facts about iPhone
1) The iPhone was originally called ‘Purple.’ Scott Forstall, the ex software head of Apple, revealed, the phone was initially named ‘Purple,’ after ‘Purple Dorm,’ the building where it was built and developed.
2) Cisco Systems owns the patent for the name iPhone for its VoIP phone. When Apple released its iPhone, Cisco sued Apple for using its name. Both the companies then reached a settlement and agreed to work together on products later in the future.
3) If you ever observed the iPhone commercials, you will notice, all the iPhones show the time as 9:41 A.M. Apparently, 9:41 A.M., was the time when Steve Jobs first unveiled the iPhone.
4) The retina display on the iPhone is its most expensive feature.
5) We are all aware of the rivalry between Apple and Samsung. Samsung was seen trashing the iPhone in many of its commercials. Still, it looks like these companies are not rivals after all. According to technology intelligence experts, the processor that powers the iPhone is actually manufactured by Samsung. Now that’s a shocker.
6) When the iPhone was introduced, founder Steve Jobs first used it to make a prank call to order 4,000 lattes from a nearby Starbucks store.
7) iPhones are the most profitable products created by Apple. They account for up to 70 % of Apple’s total revenue.
8) The iPhone earned 73 % of the profit of the smartphone industry in 2018.
9) In 2007, iPhone was awarded the Invention of the Year by TIME magazine.
10) By 2015, Apple sold around 700 million iPhones. Reports also suggest, the users of iPhone are more loyal to their brand than Android users.
Do you know any other interesting facts about the iPhone? Comment below and let us know.
Apple Unknown Facts
Apple Inc. is a revolution that conquered the world of technology with its monumental ideas, innovation and creativity. Ever since its inception in 1976, Apple has launched several products which took over the market and brought it record breaking sales. However, there is more to Apple than just its iPhones or iPads. Keep reading to find out some lesser known and interesting facts about this tech giant.
Apple Unknown Facts:
1) We all are aware that Apple was launched on the 1st of April 1976, by Steve Paul Jobs and Steve Woznaik. What we may not know is that Jobs had to sell his Volkswagen and Woznaik had to sell his Hewlett Packard scientific calculator to raise the initial capital for the company.
2) Apple had another founder named Ronald Wayne, who left the company after just 12 days after it was founded.
3) The name Apple comes from Steve Jobs’ love for the fruit. People came up with several theories about the name, but in truth it was just the fruit that Jobs’ liked and named the company after that.
4) Apple is so successful that it has twice the amount as the U.S. Treasury.
5) Apple was called Apple Computer Inc., for the first 30 years. It was only in 2007 that the name was changed to Apple Inc. to indicate the company’s expansion in the electronic market.
6) Apple’s first computer, Apple 1 was basically just a motherboard without a keyboard, monitor or case.
7) In the year 2018, Apple Inc. became the first ever company to hit the 1 trillion market capitalization mark.
8) Apple has the patent for the slide to unlock feature and it once sued Samsung for infringing its patent.
9) Apple has a no smoking ban regarding its computers. If you smoke while using an Apple computer, you void the warranty.
10) Everything you say to Siri will be sent to Apple. Apple analyzes the data and stores it for future developments.
- Harley-Davidson Success Story
- Traits To Look For In A Co Founder
- Adidas Unknown Facts
- 5 Companies Founded By Elon Musk That Are Not Tesla
- Starbucks Unknown Facts
- Walmart Family Makes $ 4 Million Every Hour And $ 100 Million Every Day
- Friends Who Founded Companies Together
- Warren Buffett Most Inspiring Quotes
- Reid Hoffman Unknown Facts
- Best Coca-Cola Marketing Campaigns
- First Jobs Of Famous Billionaires
- JRD Tata Unknown Facts
- Jack Ma Most Inspiring Quotes
- Modern Technological Innovations To Combat Increasing Food Demands And Climate Change
- Incredible Friendship Of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett
- Henry Ford Unknown Facts
- Women Startup Summit – Ecosystem For Women Entrepreneurs In India To Be Promoted
- Richest Self Made Women Entrepreneurs
- #BoycottZomato and #BoycottUberEats Trend On Twitter
- Henry Ford Most Inspiring Quotes