Twelve years ago, Jack Dorsey fired off his first tweet without realising the impact his social media platform would have on people. Little did he know that the five words tweet would fire off a 160 characters revolution! From being a regular platform back in the day, Twitter now has over 500 million tweets on a daily basis from people across the world. The next time you Tweet something online, take a moment to look at these completely bizarre facts about Twitter!
1. It all began in a playground
What is now a unique social media platform initially started off on a playground. While most success stories began in backyards, bars or cafes, Dorsey went the other way!
2. The limit on followers
Twitter does not allow users to follow more than 2,000 people unless they have 2,000 followers as well! Why? Because Twitter believes in equality!
3. The name of the bird
While the name of Twitter itself was supposed to be “Twttr,” the name of the blue bird has been consistent from the beginning. The bird is named Larry!
4. Quickest growing Twitter nation
With more than 3 million active Twitter users, Saudi Arabia, with a 300% year on year growth rate, ranks #1 in the world as the fastest-growing Twitter nation.
5. Twitter did NOT invent the hashtag
#NoReally. The usage of hashtags dates all the way back to 1988 when people used to talk to each other through chat rooms called Internet Relay Chats (IRCs.) The first hashtag ever used on Twitter was in the year 2007, when Chris Messina (a former Google employee) proposed using them to clump words in tweets. The idea took off and people started using them on a regular basis!
how do you feel about using # (pound) for groups. As in #barcamp [msg]?
— Chris Messina (@chrismessina) August 23, 2007
6. The one billionth tweet
It took 3 years, 2 months and one entire day for the one billionth tweet to go up on Twitter! Not bad at all.
With Twitter being the phenomenon it is today, there is still a lot to be known and a lot to be found out. If you think we missed some truly interesting facts, please feel free to comment and let us know!
Nokia: Interesting Facts
Once known as the King of the mobile market, Nokia had a huge impact on the mobile technology developments. It ruled the world of mobile phones once, but its popularity decreased a lot because of the increase in the number of competitors. For a lot of people out there, the Nokia 3310 was perhaps their first mobile phone. So, how well do you know Nokia? We bring you a few interesting facts about Nokia.
1. Nokia originally started off as a paper pulp manufacturing company in 1865 in Finland. The company was set up by a mining engineer, Fredrik Idestam, in the town of Tampere. In 1868, Fredrik Idestam built a second mill near the town of Nokia. This mill was then transformed into a share company in 1871 by Fredrik Idestam, with the help of his close friend Leo Mechelin. They renamed it the Nokia Company.
2. Do you know, the world’s first commercial GSM call was made by Finland Prime minister Harri Holkeri, using the Nokia phone over a Nokia supplied network in 1991
3. In 1982, Nokia released the first phone called Mobira Senator and it weighed around 10 kg.
4. In 1996, Nokia released the first smart phone called the Nokia 9000 communicator.
5. Nokia 8810 was the first phone to come without an external antenna. It was launched way back in 1998 as a flagship Nokia phone and was also the most luxurious Nokia mobile phone of its time. Believe it or not the so called ‘brick phone’ was the first affordable mobile phone to come to market with a fully internal antenna and was the sporting icon for businessmen in that era.
6. The Nokia theme tune was originally composed by Francisco Tarrega, an influential Spanish composer and guitarist of the Romantic period.
7. According to the Fortune list 2006 survey, Nokia was the 20th most Admired company in the world.
8. In May 2007, Nokia’s 1100 handset was the best selling mobile phone of all time and the world’s top selling consumer electronics product.
9. Nokia is currently the world’s largest digital camera manufacturer, as the sales of its camera equipped mobile phones have exceeded those of any conventional camera manufacturer.
10. Nokia never manufactured phones starting with number 4. In many parts of Asia, the number 4 is considered a unlucky number as it sounds similar to the word of Death. Interesting, right?
So, tell us in the comments section below, if you have any interesting facts that we missed.
Instagram Unknown Facts
When Instagram started, it was a simple photo sharing app created to change the way the world thinks. Through the years, the app now has 700 million users on a daily basis. With new features being introduced everyday, this particular app shows no sign of stopping. If you still are not on Instagram, then these reasons might just help make your decision!
1. Un tag yourself
Did you know if you wanted to hide yourself from unwanted pictures, the best way to do it is to hide your profile? You do not show up on their feed and they cannot tag you. Life made simple right there!
2. Top 3 users
Did you know the top three users of Instagram are based out of the United States, Brazil and Japan?
3. Highest liked picture
The most popular photo on Instagram has close to six million likes. The picture belongs to none other than Beyonce, who announced her pregnancy on Instagram through this popular post.
4. Revisit posts you liked
Instagram has not been able to give us the option to find posts previously liked. However, for those of you who really want to look for the particular post, click the options wheel, and then select “Posts You’ve Liked.” This will open a feed composed of every picture you have ever liked! You are welcome.
5. Popular hashtags
While there are a lot of trending hashtags on Instagram, the most popular ones are #socialmedia #social #branding #entrepreneur #success #sales #entrepreneurship #tech #branding #marketing #contestalert #business #sweepstakes #giveaway #travel #discount #deal and #smallbiz.
6. Male to female ratio
Ironically, there is a very narrow gap between the number of women and men using Instagram. According to recent statistics, 21% of the daily users are men as compared to 31% female users!
7. The one with the most selfies
The one with the most selfies is none other than one part of the Kardashian family. Kylie Jenner has 451 selfies, a record breaking number!
With so much happening on Instagram, do not miss out on the action! Join in on the fun now! Comment and tell us about some of the weirdest things you have posted yet!
Life Lessons From Jack Ma
Jack Ma, a Chinese entrepreneur, who launched several successful startups in the face of severe criticism, was recently named “Person of The Year” by Financial Times. How, you ask? By focusing more on the bottom line than any other person around him. While people around him are always astounded by his stupendous success, these rules of life helped him get to his current position. If you wondered how he got there at all, then these inspiring life lessons might be just what you need!
1. Help others if you want to change the world
Help others. A principle Jack Ma always follows is to make even the smallest man work hard. According to him, small people will always grow big and become successful in life over the years.
2. It doesn’t matter where you start. Where you finish counts
Like Jack Ma did, do not focus on where you started your life. Your level of upbringing, your method of education and your lifestyle all do not matter as long as you do something with it towards the end. Dig your heels in and give every opportunity a shot!
3. Giving up is the biggest failure
According to Ma, “giving up is the greatest failure.” If you go out, try your best and fail to achieve your goal but see it through to the end, you are still a success. Like all great leaders, Ma recognizes a person is able to learn the most from obstacles and hardships. The key to success is persevering and learning from your mistakes. Give up and everything comes crumbling down.
4. Act swiftly
If Jack Ma had not jumped at the opportunity which was Alibaba, the world would have lost a truly great e commerce platform. Acting swiftly helps put you in the front and through acting on your feet, life can show you different things!
There were several times during Alibaba’s early history where the company seemed doomed. If Jack Ma had not fought against all odds to become great, he would not have made it anywhere near the top three. Hard times come and go but what you do in the face of these hard times is what makes you great in life.
With only $ 20,000 in hand and a dream to achieve, Jack Ma became the first Chinese entrepreneur in the world and is now the 118th richest man in the world. With a net worth of $ 29.7 billion, Jack Ma stands tall as a revolutionary inspiration!
- Nokia: Interesting Facts
- Inshorts: From A Facebook Page To A Rs.600 Crores Company!
- The Importance Of SWOT Analysis For A Business
- Alibaba Cloud To Set Up Special Teams For Startups
- India Gives Green Signal To Net Neutrality!
- Twitter: Everything You Need To Know About This Platform
- Facebook To Be Fined A Fortune Over Cambridge Analytica Scandal!
- OYO Acquires Mumbai Based Tech Firm AblePlus
- Binny Bansal Breaks The Ice On Sachin Bansal’s Exit From Flipkart
- Instagram Unknown Facts
- Life Lessons From Jack Ma
- How To Talk To People You Cannot Avoid
- Alibaba’s AI can write 20,000 lines of copy in a second!
- Playboy: The Success Story Of Hefner’s Empire
- 5 Things Entrepreneurs Can Learn From Suits!
- Walmart To Get Funds For Flipkart Deal By Next Year!
- The Inception Of Tumblr
- Financial Tips For Entrepreneurs Who Are Just Starting Out
- Google Launches Indie Game Accelerator For Gaming Startups In Asia
- Life Lessons From The Tech Geek, Evan Spiegel!