Everyone in the world knows the name Coca-Cola. Invented 133 years ago in 1886, Coca-Cola, manufactured by The Coca-Cola Company, is a carbonated soft drink. The Coca-Cola Company is also one of the world’s most recognized and iconic brands with more than 3500 beverages, ranging from sodas and energy drinks to soy based drinks, under its name.
Coca-Cola was the invention of Confederate Colonel John Pemberton, who developed the drink as a substitute for his addiction to morphine. His invention was sold at soda fountains in various pharmacies, in the form of a patent medicine marketed as a nerve tonic.
After the death of John Pemberton, American businessman Asa Griggs Candler bought the rights to Coca-Cola from Pemberton’s family for just $ 300 in 1889 and established The Coca-Cola Company in Atlanta, Georgia in 1892. It was due to Candler’s incredible marketing strategies, that Coca-Cola was sold in every state of America by 1895. Candler was a great businessman ,but he took one wrong step when he sold the right to package Coca-Cola to bottlers, for a fee of one dollar. This led to the appearance of many knock off brands and people had trouble identifying the real product. To solve this problem, The Coca-Cola Company asked the bottlers to come up with a bottle which would help people distinguish Coca-Cola from other knockoffs. The first bottle made for Coca-Cola was designed as a cocoa bean. Since then the bottle design of Coca-Cola has gone through various changes, with Coke cans first being introduced to the public in 1955.
Coca-Cola remained popular well through the 20th century, with the Company owning almost 60 % of its market share in 1948. However, this number decreased in 1984 to 21.8 % because of a new competitor—Pepsi. This prompted The Coca-Cola Company to change its formula and it then introduced New Coke, the taste of which consumers preferred more than the old Coke and Pepsi. However, Coca-Cola faced backlash because of the public’s nostalgia for the old drink and the Company returned the old formula under the name Coca-Cola Classic. Coca-Cola Classic was changed back to Coca-Cola in 2011, after the New Coke formula was stopped from production. The Coca-Cola Company is popular for its acquisition of various brands all over the world, including Minute Maid, Indian cola brand Thumbs Up, Fuze Beverage and many others.
Despite its popularity, Coca-Cola has faced much criticism for its effect on health, environmental issues, animal testing and the nickname of the brand, “Coke.” The Company is also banned in countries like North Korea and Cuba because of its identity as an American brand.
Coca-Cola is the most popular brand of soft drinks, with its name being the second most popular word in the world after “OK.” With an annual revenue of $ 31.856 billion in 2018 and a net worth of $ 224.43 billion, Coca-Cola is still ruling the soft drink industry with its amazing drinks and incredible marketing campaigns.
Gucci Unknown Facts
Gucci, the famous Italian luxury brand known for its innovative designs, is adored by many. Gucci is considered one of the most valuable brands in the world, with a brand value of $ 18.6 billion. Here are some unknown facts about this reputed Italian brand.
Unknown facts about Gucci
1) Gucci was founded by an Italian fashion designer named Guccio Gucci. Guccio Gucci was in his 40s when he started his business. He was inspired by celebrities like Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra and Winston Churchill, whom he met while working as an elevator operator at London’s Savoy Hotel. Guccio wanted to create a brand which would be adored by every celebrity in the world.
2) It is well known celebrities around the world are huge fans of the brand. However, American rapper 2 Chainz took his Gucci obsession to the next level when he said, “When I die, bury me in a Gucci store.”
3) Gucci is famous for its floral scarves. These scarves were designed by Guccio Gucci’s son Rodolfo Gucci for famous Hollywood actress and Princess of Monaco, Grace Kelly.
4) The Company suffered from bankruptcy after news of Aldo Gucci’s tax evasion was made public by his son Paolo Gucci. To control the damage caused by the scandal and to boost its sales, the Company hired famous American designer Tom Ford as its creative director. Tom Ford modernized the brand and increased its sales by 90 %.
5) In 1998, a jeans created by the brand found a place in the Guinness World Records as the most expensive jeans in the world. Named “Genius Jeans,” it was sold for $ 3,134 in Milan. However, the record was then broken by Levi’s, which sold a pair of jeans for $ 60,000 in 2005.
6) During World War II, when Italy was under the rule of dictator Benito Mussolini, the brand found it difficult to acquire leather. This forced Gucci to experiment with other materials like silk and bamboo.
7) In 2017, Gucci became the first brand in history to host a fashion show at the famous Westminster Abbey in London.
Which of these unknown facts about Gucci surprised you the most? Comment below and let us know.
Ex Facebook Employee Reveals How He Made $ 1 Million In A Year
Patrick Shyu, a YouTuber who previously worked as a tech lead at Google and software engineer at Facebook, uploaded a video discussing his income after leaving the giant companies.
Shyu, whose channel TechLead has more than 500,000 subscribers, said in the video while others prance around in their business suits, driving Jaguars and acting self important, he made a million just by sitting in his toolshed, sipping coffee.
Shyu was able to generate such a huge amount from two primary sources—YouTube, which Shyu considers his main job and Facebook, which is his “side hustle gig.” By making YouTube videos, Shyu made over $ 240,000 from ad revenues over a period of 12 months and another $ 260,000 from affiliate sponsorships. While at Facebook, Shyu made a total of $ 500,000 from base pay, bonus and equity, before getting fired. After adding both the incomes, the total comes to a million dollars a year, Shyu explained in the video.
Even though making a million may sound easy, Patrick Shyu discussed how difficult it is in reality. Shyu had to work 80 hours a week continuously. This included working from 8 A.M., to midnight every day, including Sundays. While Shyu urged people not to follow his footsteps, he did acknowledge how beneficial it is to have a second job to boost one’s income.
Patrick Shyu admitted he was able to make more money as a YouTuber than he did working at Google and Facebook. However, there is a downside to earning such a large amount as one does not have enough time to enjoy the money they are earning. In Patrick Shyu’s words, he had to sacrifice gaming, movies and spending time with family in order to earn the million dollars.
Earlier, Patrick came into the limelight when he uploaded a video titled Day in the Life of a Facebook Software Engineer. In the video, Shyu explained the reason behind him getting fired from Facebook was his YouTube channel. He further explained the Human Resources at Facebook did not like his YouTube channel, resulting in him being fired. In the same video, Shyu also ridiculed the work culture at the Company.
Even with the disadvantage, Shyu put more emphasis on how important establishing a business is. He concluded the video with the statement that there is always a fear of being replaced when working under someone. However, working on your own business gives you the freedom of generating as much revenue as you want on your own conditions.
The Rapid Growth Of OYO Into India’s Biggest Hospitality Chain
OYO, the famous Indian hotel chain, entered the US market in June 2019 and in just four months, was able to acquire 100 hotels under its management. It also stated it adds one hotel a day to its chain and plans to invest $ 300 million in the US market. The Company, in a short period of time, was able to expand to over 60 cities in the US, including Las Vegas, Houston, Seattle and Miami. It also opened a 35,000 square foot casino called OYO Hotel and Casino.
The Gurgaon based startup has been rapidly growing since its inception in 2012. Founded by Ritesh Agarwal, the startup was initially called Oravels Stays, which enabled listing and booking of budget accomodations. After extensive research, Ritesh Agarwal decided to change the name of the company to OYO a year later. The startup also secured a funding of $ 100,000 from PayPal co founder Peter Thiel, just after being launched. OYO has successfully raised $ 1.5 million from global investors ever since.
Within a span of 7 years, the Company has grown globally, with its presence felt in 500 cities across 10 countries. It has over 17,000 employees globally. Today, the Company has over 173,000 rooms under its management and is considered to be India’s largest hotel chain. OYO has also become the world’s third largest hospitality chain.
The Company’s growth can be clearly seen from its 2018 annual report. OYO reported the Company saw a three fold growth and earned a revenue of Rs. 416 crores from its operations in India.
With the Company growing so rapidly in such a short period of time, its founder, Ritesh Agarwal, aims to make OYO the largest hotel chain in the world by 2023.
- Gucci Unknown Facts
- Ex Facebook Employee Reveals How He Made $ 1 Million In A Year
- The Rapid Growth Of OYO Into India’s Biggest Hospitality Chain
- Celebrities Who Invested In Startups
- 20 Inspiring Quotes By Young Entrepreneurs
- Sony Unknown Facts
- TikTok Owner Makes 7 Million In Revenue In The First Half Of 2019
- Lessons To Learn From Joanne Malone
- From Popularizing Fast Fashion To Filing For Bankruptcy – The Journey Of Forever 21
- Five Unusual Yet Useful Japanese Innovations
- 20 Inspiring Quotes By Successful Entrepreneurs
- UNIQLO Unknown Facts
- The Rise Of OTT Platforms In India
- What Is Inside The Mind Of Bill Gates?
- Wacky Stories About Entrepreneurs
- Yakult Unknown Facts
- Lessons Every Entrepreneur Can Learn From Shark Tank
- Is AI The Future Of Retail?
- Zomato – Food App Introduces Video Streaming Feature
- Most Incredible Japanese Innovations