Rupert Murdoch is an Australian born businessman and the founder of News Corp, who turned media into a lucrative business empire. With holdings in The Wall Street Journal, HarperCollins, Fox News and 20th Century Fox, Murdoch is one of the richest people in the world. Here are some unknown facts about the media mogul who is considered the inventor of the modern tabloid.
Unknown facts about Rupert Murdoch
1. As an ambitious 7 year old, Rupert Murdoch would hunt water rats for their skin and manure, which he would then sell for sixpence in his town. He would use his earnings to gamble in school.
2. Murdoch was an excellent cricket player and led his school’s cricket team to National junior finals.
3. His journalism career began with the Adelaide News, which he took over after the death of his father at the age of 22. Rupert Murdoch transformed the failing business into a successful newspaper.
4. He once counter bid for a New Zealand local newspaper, The Dominion, at the spur of the moment during a vacation and ended up winning the bid.
5. He was once declared dead by his own newspaper, The Sun, after digital vigilante groups Anonymous and LulzSec hacked into the newspaper website and published an article, claiming Murdoch died because of drug overdose.
6. He has appeared in two episodes of the hit series The Simpsons and his entrance line was “I’m Rupert Murdoch, the billionaire tyrant, and this is my skybox.”
7. Murdoch has a bad intuition towards social media, which was proven when Myspace, which Murdoch bought for $ 580 million, had to be sold due to its poor performance. He also passed a chance to buy Twitter and warned investors against investing in it.
8. He was awarded a papal honour award, Knight Commander of the Order of Saint Gregory the Great, by John Paul II in January 1998.
9. He once launched world’s first iPad only daily newspaper app, named The Daily. Murdoch invested $ 30 million in building the app. The app eventually shut down as the company started losing money after the launch.
10. He was inducted into the TV Hall of Fame in 2014 for launching Fox Broadcasting Company and changing the television landscape with shows like The Simpsons and The X-Files.
With a career spanning almost 6 decades, Rupert Murdoch saw many failures and controversies, but overcame them all and is now worth $ 21.9 billion.
Travis Kalanick Unknown Facts
Travis Kalanick, the co founder of Uber, is famous for turning the startup into a billion dollar company. Let us take a look at some unknown facts about Travis Kalanick.
Unknown facts about Travis Kalanick
1) Travis Kalanick was introduced to the entrepreneurial world from an early age, when he started selling knives door-to-door for a cutlery company called Cutco during his childhood.
2) Although he is widely known for starting companies like Uber, Scour and Red Swoosh, Kalanick started his first business at the age of 18. Along with a friend, Kalanick started a SAT prep business called New Way Academy.
3) Travis Kalanick was a very smart child. He became interested in computers at an early age and learned how to code by the time he was in middle school. Moreover, Kalanick scored 1580 out of 1600 in his SAT.
4) In 2001, Kalanick started a company called Red Swoosh. In order to save money, Kalanick started living with his parents and eventually moved to Trivandrum, India and then to Thailand.
5) Travis Kalanick is a passionate Wii Sports Tennis player and plays the video game during his spare time. According to investor Chris Sacca, Kalanick was ranked the second best player in Wii Sports Tennis in the world.
6) Travis Kalanick is known for his aggressive behaviour and once sent Instagram a cease and desist letter by posting it on the photo sharing social media platform, along with the caption, “Charming greeting card from a taxi cartel representative.”
7) Despite his billionaire status, Travis Kalanick is famous for being a frugal person. He is known to intentionally forget his wallet during team lunch and staying in cheap hotels while on vacation.
8) Travis Kalanick’s house, which he purchased after selling Red Swoosh, is famously known as the Jam Pad. This is because Kalanick’s house became the go to place for young entrepreneurs to hang out and discuss ideas. Kalanick’s house also has its own Twitter account.
With a net worth of $ 5.28 billion, Travis Kalanick is one of the richest entrepreneurs in America. Which of these unknown facts about Travis Kalanick surprised you the most? Comment below and let us know.
Warren Buffett Most Inspiring Quotes
The fourth richest man in the world, Warren Buffett is one of the greatest businessmen and investors of all time. Known for succeeding in everything at which he tried his hands, Warren Buffett is an inspiration to many. Here are the 10 most inspiring quotes by the “Oracle of Omaha.”
Most inspiring quotes by Warren Buffett
1) About passion
2) About happiness
3) About expectations
4) About success
5) About spending
6) About the important rules of life
7) About reputation
View this post on Instagram
Know the risks for it will keep you cautious. . . #StartupStories #StartupLife #GrowthTips #FridayThoughts #WarrenBuffett #USA #motivationalspeakers #motivationalquotes #inspirationalquotes #inspiration #success #successmindset #sundaythoughts #sundaymotivation #believeinyourself #believe #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurgoals#instadaily #instainspire
8) About doing good
View this post on Instagram
Work in such a manner that you leave behind something useful for later generations. . . #StartupStories #StartupLife #GrowthTips #LifeHacks #WarrenBuffett #ThursdayThoughts #motivationalspeakers #motivationalquotes #inspirationalquotes #inspiration #success #successmindset #believeinyourself #believe #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurgoals#instadaily
9) About investment
View this post on Instagram
Invest in yourself before investing in anything else. . . #StartupStories #StartupLife #FactOfTheDay #MondayMotivation #GrowthTips #LifeHack #warrenbuffet #warrenbuffettquotes #motivationalspeakers #motivationalquotes #inspirationalquotes #inspiration #success #successmindset #believeinyourself #believe #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurgoals#instadaily #instainspire
10) About greed and fear
From being a paper delivery boy, to becoming one of the richest men in the world, Warren Buffett is an absolutely inspirational figure.
Comment below and let us know which of these quotes by Warren Buffett inspired you the most.
First Jobs Of Famous Billionaires
The success stories of many billionaires around the world inspire many people of our generation and have, on several occasions, ignited a desire in many to start their own business. However, many of these successful people began their career by working ordinary jobs. Let’s look at 5 such successful people, who started their career by working some very ordinary jobs.
First jobs of famous billionaires
1) Warren Buffett
Warren Buffett is the CEO of Berkshire Hathaway and is often referred to as the “Oracle of Omaha.” However, this American business magnate started his career by selling Coca-Cola bottles, chewing gum and magazines door-to-door. At the age of 13, he became a newspaper delivery boy and made $ 175 a month, delivering The Washington Post. He continued to look for other business ventures and accumulated savings of $ 9,800 by the time he finished college. Now, with a net worth of $ 82 billion, he is the fourth richest person in the world.
2) Michael Bloomberg
Michael Bloomberg, who founded the financial, software, data and media company Bloomberg L.P., worked as a parking lot attendant when he was young. Born to middle class parents, Bloomberg worked in a parking lot to pay his tuition fees in college and went on to graduate from Harvard Business School. Now a well known philanthropist, Michael Bloomberg is one of the richest people in America, with a net worth of $ 53.5 billion.
3) Oprah Winfrey
Oprah Winfrey is a well known media mogul and entrepreneur, who worked as a grocery store clerk in Nashville to support herself. She then landed a job in radio at the age of 16 and worked her way to the top, eventually owning her own production company. Now, with a net worth of $ 2.6 billion, she is considered one of the most influential women in the world and is a source of inspiration to many.
4) Li Ka Shing
Li Ka Shing was the former chairperson of CK Hutchison Holdings and CK Asset Holdings and is one of the most influential entrepreneurs in Asia. Coming from a poor family, he started his career as an apprentice at a watch strap factory when he was 13 years old and at the age of 19, became the general manager of the factory. He later started his own plastic manufacturing company and used the profits from the company to invest in real estate. Li slowly worked his way up the ladder of success and is now one of the richest people in Hong Kong, with a net worth of $ 27.1 billion.
5) Mark Cuban
Mark Cuban is an American Shark Tank investor, co founder of Broadcast.com and owner of the American basketball team Dallas Mavericks. Cuban began working at the age of 12 as a door to door garbage bag salesman. After graduating college, he worked as a bartender and then as a salesman for a software company. He started his own company, Broadcast.com, after getting fired from his job and now has a net worth of $ 4.1 billion.
It is true, starting at the bottom does not guarantee success. However, if you find your passion and work hard towards it, nothing is impossible, as the aforementioned individuals proved.
- Travis Kalanick Unknown Facts
- Estée Lauder Life Lessons
- Thomas Alva Edison Most inspiring Quotes
- Harley-Davidson Success Story
- Traits To Look For In A Co Founder
- Adidas Unknown Facts
- 5 Companies Founded By Elon Musk That Are Not Tesla
- Starbucks Unknown Facts
- Walmart Family Makes $ 4 Million Every Hour And $ 100 Million Every Day
- Friends Who Founded Companies Together
- Warren Buffett Most Inspiring Quotes
- Reid Hoffman Unknown Facts
- Best Coca-Cola Marketing Campaigns
- First Jobs Of Famous Billionaires
- JRD Tata Unknown Facts
- Jack Ma Most Inspiring Quotes
- Modern Technological Innovations To Combat Increasing Food Demands And Climate Change
- Incredible Friendship Of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett
- Henry Ford Unknown Facts
- Women Startup Summit – Ecosystem For Women Entrepreneurs In India To Be Promoted