Mark Zuckerberg, the CEO and founder of Facebook, is arguably one of the most influential people in the world. At the age of 35, as of May 2019, he is the 8th richest person in the world and has a net worth of $ 67.3 billion. Here are some lesser known facts about him.
Things you didn’t know about Mark Zuckerberg
1) Mark Elliot Zuckerberg was born on May 14th, 1984 and since childhood, he was passionate about programming. At the age of 12, he created an instant messaging program called ZuckNet, to help his dentist father know when the patients arrived.
2) Zuckerberg was approached by several companies, including AOL and Microsoft, even before he finished high school, but he turned down their job offers.
3) Zuckerberg has red-green colour blindness and this is the main reason why the logo of Facebook is blue.
4) You cannot block Mark Zuckerberg or his wife Priscilla Chan on Facebook. Apparently, the couple have been blocked so many times on Facebook, the algorithm does not allow you to do so anymore. Have you ever tried doing this?
5) The guests who attended Zuckerberg’s wedding with Priscilla Chan were actually told they were being invited to attend Priscilla’s graduation ceremony. The wedding ceremony was quite a surprise to them.
6) Zuckerberg tends to go to despicable lengths to protect his privacy. Once, a developer tried to build a large house which would have a view of Zuckerberg’s master bedroom. After this incident, Zuckerberg spent around $ 44 million to buy all the houses surrounding his Palo Alto home.
7) Many big companies like Microsoft, Google, Viacom and Yahoo tried to buy Facebook, but Zuckerberg turned down all their offers.
8) Mark Zuckerberg is a fitness buff and takes fitness very seriously. In 2016, he set a goal to run 365 miles in a year and ended up completing it half way through the year.
9) Zuckerberg signed the Giving Pledge agreement and promised to give away at least 50 % of his wealth in his lifetime.
10) Zuckerberg himself designed his wife’s wedding ring, which is a ruby edged on either side by diamonds.
11) His annual salary at Facebook is $ 1.
12) Zuckerberg holds 50 patents to his name. The first one was for the Synapse Media Player, which he designed in senior high school.
Which of these facts about Mark Zuckerberg interested you the most? Comment below and let us know.
Burt’s Bees Founding Story
Burt’s Bees is a famous American personal care products company known for using all natural ingredients in its products. The Company was founded in 1984 in Maine under some unlikely circumstances. Burt’s Bees was founded by Burt Shavitz, a photographer turned beekeeper and Roxanne Quimby, a candle maker.
Burt Shavitz, whose face has been gracing all Burt’s Bees products since the Company was founded, was a famous photojournalist who had his photographs featured in Time and Life magazines. Shavitz considered his life unfulfilled in the city of Manhattan and escaped to rural Maine, where he started a honey business. During this time, Shavitz met Roxanne Quimby, an artist and candle maker.
The two struck up a partnership to start a candle making business using the beeswax from Burt Shavitz’s honey business. They started the business with an investment of $ 200 in an abandoned one room schoolhouse. Shavitz and Quimby started selling their beeswax candles at a high school craft fair. The business flourished and within a year, the duo made a $ 20,000 profit. In 1989, they increased their production after getting a large order from a New York boutique and moved their headquarters to an abandoned bowling alley.
During this time, Quimby came across a 19th century beekeeping book which included homemade personal care recipes using beeswax. This prompted the Company to change its direction from candle making to personal care products. Burt’s Bees became a legal corporation in 1991 and introduced the most famous product of the Company, Burt’s Bees lip balm. By 1993, the Company’s main focus was exclusively on personal care products. The Company slowly started expanding to international market and started selling its product in Japan by the late 1990s.
However, during this time, Roxanne Quimby forced Shavitz out of the Company over personal issues. In 1999, Quimby bought Shavitz’s stake of the Company and offered him a $ 130,000 house in Maine. Quimby went on to sell the Company to the Clorox Corporation in 2007 for $ 925 million.
Now, after 35 years since its inception, Burt’s Bees is still a popular brand, selling more than 100 products under its name. The success of Burt’s Bees also made its founders, who were just small business owners earlier, millionaires.
Michael Dell Unknown Facts
Michael Sull Dell, the founder and CEO of Dell Technologies, is a well known businessman and philanthropist. He is also considered one of the most powerful figures by several magazines. Here are some lesser known facts about Michael Dell.
Unknown facts about Michael Dell
1) Michael Dell, in an effort to enter the business world early, took a high school equivalency exam at the age of 8.
2) Like many self made billionaires, Michael Dell had a humble beginning and worked part time as a dishwasher at a restaurant and sold subscriptions of the Houston Post during his high school days.
3) Michael Dell started his first business when he was 12 and formed a marketing company which offered national stamp auction through mail. The business was a profitable one, with Dell earning $ 2000 from it.
4) Michael Dell’s very first computer was an Apple II, which he later tore apart in order to see how the inside of the computer worked.
5) Even though Michael Dell is known as a tech giant, he attended college as a pre med student. While at college, Dell started an informal business and eventually dropped out, after his business became a success.
6) Dell set a new record in the city of Manhattan when he purchased a penthouse at One57 skyscraper for $ 100.47 million.
7) Michael Dell is not just a businessman and philanthropist, but also an author. Dell collaborated with author Catherine Fredman to write a book Direct from Dell: Strategies that Revolutionized an Industry, which describes Dell’s business journey.
Michael Dell climbed the ladder of success at an early age, with his focus and dedication. Now worth $ 35 billion, he is an inspiration to many entrepreneurs.
Which of these facts about Michael Dell did you find interesting? Comment below and let us know.
Coco Chanel Most Inspiring Quotes
Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel, known to the world as Coco Chanel, was a French designer and founder of the Chanel brand. Known for revolutionising the fashion industry, Coco Chanel still remains one of the most influential people in the world. Here are the 7 most inspiring quotes by Coco Chanel.
Most inspiring quotes by Coco Chanel
1) About wasting time
View this post on Instagram
If something does not work out, move on and try something new. . . #StartupStories #StartupLife #FactOfTheDay #MondayMotivation #GrowthTips #LifeHack #motivationalspeakers #motivationalquotes #inspirationalquotes #inspiration #success #successmindset #believeinyourself #believe #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurgoals#instadaily #instainspire
2) About success
View this post on Instagram
If you believe you are going to be successful, then you are already halfway there. . . #StartupStories #StartupLife #FactOfTheDay #FridayFacts #cocochanel #GrowthTips #LifeHack #motivationalspeakers #motivationalquotes #inspirationalquotes #inspiration #success #successmindset #believeinyourself #believe #entrepreneur #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurgoals#instadaily #instainspire
3) About being unique
View this post on Instagram
Don't be afraid of being different! . . #StartupStories #SuccessStories -#GrowthTips #LifeHacks #StartupLife #CocoChannel #ThursdayThoughts #entrepreneur #entrepreneurquotes #entrepreneurmindset #entrepreneurlifestyle #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurslife #motivation #motivationalquote #motivationalquotes #motivationalquoteoftheday #inspirationalquotes #instainspiration #startupmindset #success #successstories #successquotes #successtips #successmantra #instamood
4) About being courageous
View this post on Instagram
How often have you thought for yourself? . . #StartupStories #CocoChanel #chanel #MotivationalQuotes #MondayMotivation #startups #startuptips #startuplife #startupgrind #startupmindset #success #successstories #successquotes #successtips #successmantra #entrepreneur #entrepreneurquotes #entrepreneurmindset #entrepreneurlifestyle #entrepreneurship #entrepreneurslife #motivation #motivationalquote #motivationalquotes #motivationalquoteoftheday #inspirationalquotes #instainspiration
5) About changing your life
6) About growth
7) About change
Coco Chanel, through her creative vision, showed the world fashion is more important than beauty. Everything she created was aimed at making women’s lives a little bit easier and better.
Which of these quotes by Coco Chanel inspired you the most? Comment below and let us know.
- Most Incredible Japanese Innovations
- Traits of Mentally Strong People
- Lesser Known Facts About Burt Shavitz
- Lessons To Learn From Bill Campbell
- Marketing Campaigns Which Failed
- Apple’s New Launch – iPhone 11
- Jack Ma Retires From Alibaba At 55
- Burt’s Bees Founding Story
- UNIQLO Founder Takes Step Towards Women Empowerment Amid Gender Gap Issue In Japan
- 20 Most Inspiring Quotes By World’s Top CEOs
- Michael Dell Unknown Facts
- Successful Companies Founded By College Students
- Samsung Lesser Known Facts
- Traits To Look For In A Mentor
- Documentaries Every Entrepreneur Should Watch
- Jim Rohn Most Inspiring Quotes
- Red Bull Unknown Facts
- Coco Chanel Most Inspiring Quotes
- Nike Unknown Facts
- The Journey of Red Bull