Once known as the King of the mobile market, Nokia had a huge impact on the mobile technology developments. It ruled the world of mobile phones once, but its popularity decreased a lot because of the increase in the number of competitors. For a lot of people out there, the Nokia 3310 was perhaps their first mobile phone. So, how well do you know Nokia? We bring you a few interesting facts about Nokia.
1. Nokia originally started off as a paper pulp manufacturing company in 1865 in Finland. The company was set up by a mining engineer, Fredrik Idestam, in the town of Tampere. In 1868, Fredrik Idestam built a second mill near the town of Nokia. This mill was then transformed into a share company in 1871 by Fredrik Idestam, with the help of his close friend Leo Mechelin. They renamed it the Nokia Company.
2. Do you know, the world’s first commercial GSM call was made by Finland Prime minister Harri Holkeri, using the Nokia phone over a Nokia supplied network in 1991
3. In 1982, Nokia released the first phone called Mobira Senator and it weighed around 10 kg.
4. In 1996, Nokia released the first smart phone called the Nokia 9000 communicator.
5. Nokia 8810 was the first phone to come without an external antenna. It was launched way back in 1998 as a flagship Nokia phone and was also the most luxurious Nokia mobile phone of its time. Believe it or not the so called ‘brick phone’ was the first affordable mobile phone to come to market with a fully internal antenna and was the sporting icon for businessmen in that era.
6. The Nokia theme tune was originally composed by Francisco Tarrega, an influential Spanish composer and guitarist of the Romantic period.
7. According to the Fortune list 2006 survey, Nokia was the 20th most Admired company in the world.
8. In May 2007, Nokia’s 1100 handset was the best selling mobile phone of all time and the world’s top selling consumer electronics product.
9. Nokia is currently the world’s largest digital camera manufacturer, as the sales of its camera equipped mobile phones have exceeded those of any conventional camera manufacturer.
10. Nokia never manufactured phones starting with number 4. In many parts of Asia, the number 4 is considered a unlucky number as it sounds similar to the word of Death. Interesting, right?
So, tell us in the comments section below, if you have any interesting facts that we missed.
Major Startup Accelerators In The World
In simple terms, a startup accelerator or incubator is a startup collaborator which helps budding companies grow by providing a combination of services like workplaces and product development. In fact, from the year 2008 to 2014, the number of startup accelerators grew by 50 %! Companies like AirBnB and Twitch were given birth because incubators helped push them forward. Here is taking a look at some incubators which are doing really well in the world!
1. Y Combinator
Perhaps one of the most famous incubators in the world, Y Combinator has been known for training and funding over 460 startups. Founded by Paul Graham in the year 2005, this incubator has helped develop major startups like Dropbox, Posterous, Reddit, Scribd, Songkick, and Weebly. From helping the startups with a certain amount of funding, to helping them develop with a management team, this incubator gives budding startups exactly the push they need to grow.
2. Founders Space
With over 50 partners spread over 22 countries, Founders Space has constant programs across China, Korea, Taiwan, Europe and the United States. Known for the excellent quality of the services provided, this incubator gives complete end to end services for all the startups who ask for help. If you are looking for someone to help you grow not just at the national level but on an international scale as well, Founders Space is where you should go.
With a string of famous companies under its belt (DailBurn, Ignightr, Occipital, Order.in and Sociathing,) TechStars was founded in the year 2006 by David Cohen. Receiving 1000 applications on a regular basis, rumour has it, getting into TechStars is harder than getting into the Ivy League Schools! While it may be one of the most sought after accelerators, the programs are currently present only in Boston, Boulder, New York, San Antonio and Seattle!
Unlike the other incubators, PlugAndPlay helps develop the right kind of connections for the startups under them. Most of the offices they have, function as co working spaces, giving people the option to build brand value and increase the recognition of the brand on a global level. With more than a 100 partnerships spread across the world, PlugAndPlay works because of the vast space it offers!
Founded in the year 2007 and based out of London, Seedcamp gives startups an access to almost over 100 of the most promising startups in Europe. Every year, almost 20 startups are selected by Seedcamp and with the kind of work they do, they help in increasing the presence of the startups not just in Europe, but all over the world.
In a world where there is always a push and pull for doing something different, startup incubators help in increasing the presence of the brand. If you think we missed out on any other incubators and accelerators, comment and let us know!
Best Artificial Intelligence Devices And Apps
The internet has evolved and with it, so has technology. The year 2019 has seen an increasing presence of artificial intelligence in almost every field and if you are looking at investing in AI gadgets and apps, then these are the ones for which you should go!
AI enabled apps have come in the form of a blessing in disguise. Fyle is exactly one such app. Available for iOS users, this app lets you track, scan and upload all your financial expenses. Called intelligent expense marketing, this app comes powered with artificial intelligence, keeps a track of the investments and basically, increases a company’s overall performance!
2. Google Home
Sticking to Google’s theme of using AI in all of its devices, this particular device uses a combination of machine learning and artificial intelligence. Doubling up as a personal assistant to use on the go, the Google Home looks up your questions and answers them the best way possible. Although it may not have the capabilities of answering like a human just yet, the Google Home is still one of the best devices using AI in recent times.
3. Netatmo Welcome
The best depiction of how AI is used in everyday life, the Netatmo Welcome is the security camera every home needs to have. By distinguishing between intruders and homeowners, this device uses a combination of AI and machine learning to act as the perfect guard. Furthermore, this device also sets off alarms if your house is on fire and stores videos for a certain period of time. If you need an alarm, then this is the device you need!
4. Kuri Home Robot
While the Sophie robot has been making the headlines for all the right reasons, the fact that it isn’t as easy to avail is still a problem. The Kuri Home Robot, on the other hand, is similar in functionality and quite affordable. From answering questions, to performing basic chores around the house and to playing music out loud, this robot is essentially an extremely efficient assistant. By using the associated voice app, you can also tweak and change the settings so the robot can wake you up when necessary. Unfortunately, this robot isn’t available for sale yet, but can be preordered!
Designed to help better the English of those who can’t speak the language, English Language Speaking Assistant, ELSA, is an app which is available for Android phones. Widely used by those who come from places where English isn’t the first language, ELSA is extremely helpful for those wanting to learn English. This app is designed to help users learn and improve their English learning and pronunciation skills in a span of 4 weeks! Not only does it help you learn the language, it also provides you with a full fledged report which shows what your progress has been like since you started using the app!
Artificial intelligence, when used the right way, has more than its fair share of benefits. From home devices to language skills, these devices are the way to go when it comes to making your lives easier. If you think we missed out on any other devices like these, comment and let us know!
Edutech Startups Which Are Changing The Education World
Tech startups are the talk of the town today, with a major hand in fields ranging from medicine, to gaming, to healthcare and to education. In the last few years, the edutech area is shaping up to be quite exciting, with new edutech startups booming every few months. Here’s our list of edutech startups which are quite literally changing the education game!
At its core, Nerdify is basically like your personal assistant which helps college students. Designed to help college students answer any questions they have or order books they had difficulty finding, Nerdify is easy to use. With either a text or a message on the Facebook page, personal assistants, called Nerds, help students with whatever they want. Extremely easy to use and simple to download, the app helps make life easier for college students.
Founded in the year 2015 by Byju Raveendran, Byju’s as an app primarily focuses on children belonging to the primary and secondary fields. By creating interactive studying sessions, the app helps simplify the study material for children going through the toughest years of their schooling life. With more than 3 lakh monthly subscribers, the app has not only helped change the way children learn, but has instilled the love of learning in children.
Unlike the previous years, it has become imperative for students to not just indulge in rote learning, but also understand, analyse and comprehend what they read. Newsela has been created with exactly this formula in mind. With carefully curated articles on different topics, this app helps students go beyond the basic text. Through grade appropriate content, students can study the material and be assessed on what they have learnt!
Edukart is changing the education game one day at a time. By helping both students and professionals, the app offers a wide range of services ranging from more than 2,000 plus courses in degree, diploma, certificate, entrance coaching and K12 categories. Founded in 2011, this app has been making great waves in the Indian education system!
With the education game growing stronger every day, the days of sticking notes and reminders inside backpacks is now a thing of the past. Designed to improve communication and make conversations between students, teachers and parents easier, Remind works because it is smooth, easy to use and works on a real time basis. Without asking either parties for their numbers, the app lets you send messages on the app to remind people about things they have forgotten. From reminding people about assignments, to reminding parents about parent teacher meetings and visits, this app is quite literally a life saver!
6. Class Dojo
In today’s day and age, maintaining classroom culture is extremely important. The Class Dojo app helps maintain seamless communication between the students, teachers and the parents. Designed to make conversations easy, Class Dojo is changing the way the education system works.
7. Peer Grade
While it is important for one to get assessed by those older than you, getting feedback from the people who are your age is equally important. Peer Grade does exactly this. The teachers give the assignments, the students complete and upload it and the teacher assigns other students to grade the projects. Not only does this app help the students understand how their peers are doing, it also helps the instructors get better by looking at the way the students go through the course material.
With so many apps doing so well, it comes as no surprise that the education field is doing better every day! If you think we missed out on any other apps like these, comment and let us know!
- Facts about SpaceX
- Different Types Of Management Styles And How They Work
- April Fools’ Day – Best Tech Pranks To Date
- How Artificial Intelligence Can Be Used In Human Resources
- Life Lessons To Learn From Steve Jobs
- Life Lessons From Nikola Tesla
- OnePlus 7 And Everything You Can Expect
- How To Streamline Your Work Through Crisis Management
- World Wide Web – Unknown Facts
- Search Engine Marketing And Its Different Forms
- Marketing Campaigns With A Message For Women
- Why A Good Company Culture Is Important For Positive Growth
- The Best Artificial Intelligence Trends To Keep An Eye On This Year
- How To Resign With Your Grace In Place
- Major Startup Accelerators In The World
- Jack Ma Life Lessons
- Cricketer Shikhar Dhawan Turns Entrepreneur
- How To Build Your Brand Without Using Social Media
- How To Land The Job Of Your Dreams
- How Women Can Overcome Gender Bias At Work